Friday, February 22, 2013

Princess Polish's Guest Post! : Nail trends

 If you follow Pretty in Paint on Facebook, you know I've been sick for a little over a week now, and I'm still trying to get better, so the lovely Princess Polish has done a guest post for Pretty in Paint today!

________________________________________________________

Happy Friday, everyone! Princess Polish here! I'm filling in for Amy today while she recovers from being sick. Get well soon, girl!

With the weekend approaching, I know a lot of you shift from tame manicures for work to funky fingers. Keeping that in mind, I thought it would be fun to show you some simple nail art trends you can try out!


Lace Nails


I'll admit that I was very intimidated by this trend until I realized how foolproof it is. Seriously, I'm convinced my twelve-year-old sister can do this and she has the patience of, well, a twelve-year-old.

You just need to pick out two colors and have something on hand resembling a large and small dotting tool, whether it be a toothpick and a bobby pin, or an actual dotting tool.

Feel free to combine cremes, glitters, holos, and metallics when selecting your colors… the choices are endless. I used OPI You Only Live Twice and OPI Skull and Glossbones

Paint on your base coat until you get it opaque. Then take your second polish and paint on a French tip. It doesn't have to be perfect. You're never going to see the line anyway. Let dry for a few minutes.

Now, it's time to grab your dotting tool! Make large dots along the French tip with the same color, overlapping the bottom third of the dot with the stripe. Let dry for a few minutes.

Then take your dotting tool with the smaller end and dip it in your original color. Dot the color into the center of the larger dots.

Let that dry for about ten minutes so that it doesn't streak, apply top coat, and voila! Lace mani!

Gradient

Okay, this can be VERY intimidating. When you think of gradient nails, I'm sure you think of cosmetic wedges and lots of wasted polish and a blend you can't always get right. Truthfully, I do too. But then I figured out a way to use only two things to make a gradient: a creme polish and a tinted glitter top coat.



I used Piggy Polish It's All About Blue as a base and Maisie Shine Aquarium for my glitter top coat. As you can see, Aquarium has a blue-tinted base that I used to my advantage.

Simply start from a few millimeters from the bottom of your nail and apply your glitter. Then, move up another few millimeters and add another coat. Continue to repeat this pattern and you will see the gradient effect start to appear.

Take that, cosmetic wedges!

Two Tone


This is one of my favorite ways to go from day to night in a hurry! This is a great way to freshen up your nails for the weekend, paint over any chips and tip wear, and add a little fun to your fingers.

Simply stripe another color across the top third of your nail on a diagonal. The reason I often go with a diagonal is that lack of precision/straight lines are a LOT less noticeable than a vertical or horizontal swipe. Seriously, it's true!

Purple is my favorite color so I used Sally Hansen Lapis Amethyst, a frosty lavender with some shimmer, and a-England Lady of the Lack, a vibrant purple hole. Double the sparkle, double the awesome.

And the possibilities with this are endless!

Polka Dots



Last, but certainly not least are the ever popular polka dots! This is another quick and easy way to add a little pizazz to a neutral polish or just spruce up another shade.

For this, you'll need a dotting tool in three different sizes. A toothpick and a bobby pin will suffice, as you can use less polish on the ends of either to create smaller sized dots.

In this manicure, done for Memorial Day, I wanted to stick to a Red, White, and Blue color scheme using Zoya Purity, Ibiza, and Sarah. All I did was alternate dot sizes, doing the big dots first and then moving on to the smaller ones.

The good thing about that method is that you can easily fill in the blank space with a smaller dot if it bugs you, like it sometimes bugs me!

So there you have it… four nail trends you can rock with confidence and brag about when fawned over. I hope you enjoyed these looks and try some of them out. Let me know what you think of these ideas in the comments and I'll do my best to check back in and answer any questions.

Have a great weekend!
Princess Polish

 _______________________________________________________

Thank you to the amazing Princess Polish for these amazing manicures! Make sure you check out her at the follow social media outlets:

PrincessPolish.blogspot.com
Facebook.com/PrincessPolish
Twitter.com/Princess_Polish
Pinterest.com/PrincessPolish
Instagram.com/PrincessPolish

No comments:

Post a Comment